Saturday, May 28, 2005

A Mothers Love

For all mothers out there, and for those to be mothers, just a lil story to share with you that embodies the beautiful bond that a mother shares with her child.
___________________________________________________________________
We are sitting at lunch one day when my daughter casually mentions that she and her husband are thinking of "starting a family." "We're taking survey," she says half-joking. "Do you think I should have a baby?"
"It will change your life," I say, carefully keeping my tone neutral.

"I know," she says, "no more sleeping in on weekends, no more spontaneous vacations."

But that is not what I meant at all. I look at my daughter, trying to decide what to tell her.

I want her to know what she will never learn in childbirth classes.
I want to tell her that the physical wounds of child bearing will heal, but becoming a mother will leave her with an emotional wound so raw that she will forever be vulnerable. I consider warning her that she will never again read a newspaper without asking, "What if that had been MY child?"

That every plane crash, every house fire will haunt her, that when she sees pictures of starving children, she will wonder if anything could be worse than watching your child die. I look at her carefully manicured nails and stylish suit and think that no matter how sophisticated she is, becoming a mother will reduce her to the primitive level of a bear protecting her cub.

That an urgent call of "MOM!" will cause her to drop a soufflé or her best crystal without a moments hesitation. I feel that I should warn her that no matter how many years she has invested in her career, she will be professionally derailed by motherhood. She might arrange for childcare, but one day she will be going into an important business meeting and she will think of her baby's sweet smell. She will have to use every ounce of discipline to keep from running home, just to make sure her baby is all right.

I want my daughter to know that every day decisions will no longer be routine. That a five year old boy's desire to go to the men's room rather than the women's at McDonald's will become a major dilemma. That right there, in the midst of clattering trays and screaming children, issues of independence and gender identity will be weighted against the prospect that a child molester may be lurking in that restroom. However decisive she may be at the office, she will second-guess herself constantly as a mother.

Looking at my attractive daughter, I want to assure her that eventually she will shed the pounds of pregnancy, but she will never feel the same about herself. That her life, now so important, will be of less value to her once she has a child. That she would give herself up in a moment to save her offspring, but will also begin to hope for more years, not to accomplish her own dreams, but to watch her child accomplish theirs. I want her to know that a cesarean scar or shiny stretch marks will become badges of honor.

My daughter's relationship with her husband will change, and not in the way she thinks. I wish she could understand how much more you can love a man who is careful to powder the baby or who never hesitates to play with his child. I think she should know that she will fall in love with him again for reasons she would now find very unromantic. I wish my daughter could sense the bond she will feel with women throughout history who have tried to stop war, prejudice and drunk driving. I want to describe to my daughter the exhilaration of seeing your child learn to ride a bike. I want to capture for her the belly laugh of a baby who is touching the soft fur of a dog or cat for the first time. I want her to taste the joy that is so real it actually hurts.

My daughter's quizzical look makes me realize that tears have formed in my eyes. "You'll never regret it," I finally say. Then I reached across the table, squeezed my daughter's hand and offered a silent prayer for her, and for me, and for all the mere mortal women who stumble their way into His most wonderful of callings. Please share this with a Mom that you know or all of your girlfriends who may someday be Moms.

May you always have in your arms the one who is in your heart.

7 Comments:

At 4:18 AM, Blogger anoop said...

What a woman offers as a mom is priceless. I donno if God exists but every mom is a God herself. A mere mother's day gift wouldnt match every moment she dedicated to her children.

BTW I never thought you had a married daughter. Good luck to her anyways.

 
At 7:08 PM, Blogger anoop said...

Hey Boo. Ma'm if you post a blog in first person, may be you want to be more clear about who that first person is ;). I didnt have the brain to check your profile about ur age.

Anyways now that you have said so, may you have a wonderful daughter cos sometimes sons like me might not be so wonderful ;)

BTW Iam better off as Anoop, sometimes anu sounds feminine (again ;) )

 
At 4:50 AM, Blogger anoop said...

Now thats being a good girl. You made the change.

I donno about Aastha either. May be she stopped blogging.

 
At 4:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another story that only a woman can come up with. How about the mothers who drown their children in a lake, so that they can take off with their new boyfriend, or those in Yugoslavia who left behind their kids so that they could start a new life in the US.
It is easy to come up with such milksop stories, but reality is different.

Women reproduce because they are simple female animals trying to ensure their genes are transmitted to the next generation. Second, because they dont know how to estimate their safe times with unsafe times - in other words, poor sexual knowledge.

Anything else is rubbish created by a woman's fertile imagination.

 
At 9:10 PM, Blogger Boo said...

Hey Anon,

U come across as cynical in life.

I do buy your point that there are women who do not have the maternal instinct. Just recently I read in the papers of a newborn child being abandoned in a dustbin and several other such instances.

However, amongst the innumerable women that exist in the world today, what would the percentage be, who would behave in such a manner? A trivial number.

Have you gone through a 9 month pregnancy? Have you gone through the changes a woman undergoes when she carries a babe in her womb? Have you gone through labour pains just to bear a child? Have you gone through post partum depression? Well I guess not, coz u need to be a woman to go through all this?

In short, I would not go to all this trouble as a woman just to ensure that my genes are transmitted to the next generation.

Anon, I'm not looking at life with rose tinted glasses. What I have written about is reality, that holds good for most mothers. And who says that this domain is only restricted to women.

On the personal front, it was my dad who played the role of a mother to me. He loved me to distraction. I know of women who have brought up children not borne by them, and brought them up with love.

Anon, lighten up. The world may not be a bad place after all :)

 
At 2:19 AM, Blogger anoop said...

Dear friend anon. I agree about what you said. But in life there are always exceptions right! We cannot generalize what ever you said just because a little percent of women do that. How about the mothers who dedicate their life to bring up their children. Well, I guess its not right to draw conclusions the way you did. God bless you

 
At 4:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yes, hallelujiah!
Women are so famous at choosing whose sperm they want, and make cunning choices here. Such is the utilitarian nature of women.

You think they have a choice in the labor pains? Hormones are created to make this whole process of reproduction and motherhood pleasant, so that the next generation would be cared for.

The labor pains are necessary to make sure that people do not reproduce painlessly like termites and destroy the world.

It's a double-edged sword. Motherhood is great enough for women to reproduce, and the labor pain is worse enough to prevent uncontrolled reproduction.

God was truly male!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home