Sunday, August 07, 2005

Spirit of Mumbai

This is a mail from a friend explaining the spirit of Indians.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yesterday (Wednesday) my heart cried. I work for a call centre and due to the rains on Tuesday I had to stay back in office in Malad. I opted to work the whole night so that on Wednesday I could take the day off and go home. After having some 2 hrs of sleep and working for 2 continuous shifts of 18 hrs my company managed to let us go by the Company bus right up to Bandra. I stay near Crawford Market. By 1.00 pm two company buses were rolled out towards Bandra.

We had to move through west as we were informed that the whole highway along the east was blocked. We were not prepared for the gory sight we were about to see. There were dead animals like rats, dogs, cows, buffaloes strewn about the road like diversion boards. There were people in ground floor apartments and buildings just clearing their house, their clothes already filthy. All we could see for about 2 hrs were people walking home. That’s it. I have never seen so many people just walk. By the time we reached Vile Parle through the link road we were traffic struck. It was 2.45pm. That’s when it happened. That’s when I saw the miracle.

The traffic was stuck. We moved only about 10 meters in about 45 minutes. There were residents along the whole SV road who came on the road offering us biscuits. They gave us whole packets of biscuits to eat whoever was walking by. There were people offering us bottles of water to drink. There were people giving us Wada Pav. Bananas were given to all those in the bus and cars. Khichdi rice was served in plates to all those weary. Khakdas and other snacks made it a variety. I just couldn’t stop thanking them. As I write this I still have tears in my eyes for them. I walked from Vile Parle to Dadar. It took me 5 hours. But I wouldn’t have made it if it wasn’t because of them.

There are many of us who owe them our thanks. As the whole of Mumbai walked wearily these residents came running after us, asking us if we wanted medicines - crocins etc. I just looked at them. I didn’t have the heart to tell them no I am ok. There must be over 200 volunteers as I made my journey. All the way I saw volunteers directing people, managing traffic and helping people with what ever they can do by sacrificing their luxuries at homes. All the way I saw young and old, ladies and teenagers facing the onslaught with courage and a smile. I salute all Mumbaikars, who have rightly made Mumbai proud. Today I am safe in my house. But as I look at these people no coverage has ever been given to these silent angels. At least a coverage where all we want to tell them is -- Thank You."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home