Monday, November 07, 2005

Life of Pi

I generally don’t prefer reading Management, Self Help or any other book that falls into that category. I don’t know where I got the idea that ‘Life of Pi’ was a Management book and hence in spite of having heard much about it, avoided reading it.

It was only when a colleague gave me the gist of the book and raved about it, that I was intrigued enough to check it out. And I am glad I did.

‘Life of Pi’ by Yann Martel is the story of a 16 year old boy who finds himself stranded on a Lifeboat in the middle of the Pacific Ocean accompanied by a 450-pound Royal Bengal Tiger for a harrowing 7 months.

The start of the book was kind of staid and I began to have doubts if it really would be as interesting as I was told. However, a couple of chapters down, I was well into the book. The narration in the first person, the choice of words, the way humor is woven into an impossible situation is what makes this book interesting. Pi lives through a nightmare, and yet makes this nightmare, a fascinating read, sometimes shocking, sometimes downright repelling and at times heart wrenching.

The authors imagination is simply amazing, spinning such an unbelievable tale and taking one through such an astounding journey. 'Life of Pi' is a magical reading experience, of faith and an endless blue expanse of survival against all odds.

2 Comments:

At 8:02 PM, Blogger Miss Frangipani said...

I read the book a few months ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. The author's imagination is indeed amazing. I loved the whole bit on the boat and how Pi struggles to survive. The ending was tame compared to the rest of the book. It was the usual feeling of exhilaration turning to a wee disappointment as the book ends.Happens everytime with a good book or movie. The ending is nearly never as good as the rest of the journey.

 
At 5:15 AM, Blogger Boo said...

I agree about the ending. Even I did feel a lil disappointed at the end. Like the tempo was built up and then petered out.

However it was good while it lasted :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home