Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Death

This morn as I got into the auto heading for work, ‘Kashi’ the driver told me that ‘Lalu’ had passed away. For a moment I was perplexed wondering why Kashi all of a sudden had started talking politics. Then he specified that it was the coconut vendor who sat by the main road, the one whom I addressed as ‘Lala’.

I was stunned! Lala and Kashi were acquaintances and neighbours. If ever I had to leave for work early or required the auto at other hours he would be the one I’d leave the message with. He was also the one who would organize other autos for me from the teeming friends and relatives Kashi had when Kashi for some reason was unavailable. So imagine my shock when Kashi told me he was no more.

It was a Sunday when he was walking - suddenly began frothing blood at the mouth, collapsed and was no more. Just like that. Kashi added that he had been suffering long from TB and that could have been the cause. Whatever be the case, I looked morosely at the coconut stall which I passed by and found someone else in Lala’s place. I mourned his loss and wondered what the day would be like. The feeling lasted till I was in office.

I recall it was only evening when I was on my way back home that he came back to mind. But this time the thought was not so disconcerting. I had completely forgotten him in the milieu of the work day. I offered up a silent prayer for his soul.

I realized the frailty of Life. One moment you are alive and well, and then silently and suddenly death snatches you away. But Life continues around you the way it always has, Life goes on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home